Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Creating Kid's Working Habits

Working habits are very important, especially when your kid starts going to school. Because of that, I started preparing my kids at very young age.

1. Helping kids to organize themselves: I made a mistake because I let them organize themselves. I relized that the kid's priorities are "a little bit" different then those of grown-ups. They want to write a diary to call their friends... Studying was the last on their list. When we realized that grades are not as good as they should be we made a different listo of priorities.

2. List of duties: We made clear what are the priorities. Then we have put that on paper and made that paper visible in their room. There were problems at the beginning for them to fulfill all that was written. They tried to trick me but I was persistent. And stronger. Now, everyting is fine.

3. Studying corner: Studying corner is for studying and for putting away things for school. In drawers of my older kid there were a buch of stuff besides school items. Pictures of Brad Pitt, broken toys, empty bags of chips and chocolates. At first I just warned her to clean that up and when that didn't work I changed approach. I deliberately entered her room while she was in. I started cleanding her desk. In the process I "incidentally" stumbled across private diaries, pieces of papers with names of her friends etc. Then she realized that it's much better for her to clean up herself. Then the secrets reamin secrets.

4. Place to put toys away: At first, toys were scattered all acros thir room. And I mean ALL acrros their room. I was a feat to walk through their room at night and not step on any toy and make loud noises. Putting the toys away made it to the list of priorities. They must put away all toys before going to bed. They put their toys in a closet. To keep order in that closet is too much to ask, though.

5. Cleaning day: Once a month, a whole family gathers in our kid's room and clean up. All toys that are broken beyond repair go to garbage can. We also try to classify the toys. It's not important that toys are mixed up by the evening.

6. Keeping schedule: Lunch is at 1 PM, studying from 2 PM to 4 PM etc. Kids learn to manage their time when they have fixed schedule. This schedule also gives them selfconfidence which is very important for kids.

7. Praise: I commend all cooperation attempts coming from my kids, no matter how small they are. It means a lot to them because they are helping their mom. There is hope that someday it will become a habit for them.

All in all, this is my way of raising kids. I'll be glad if this post is of any help to you.

No comments: